    SubjectRe: PROMBLEM: CD burning at 16x uses excessive CPU, although DMA is enabled
    On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Anssi Saari wrote:

    > [1.] One line summary of the problem:
    > CD burning at 16x uses excessive CPU, although DMA is enabled

    That's a hint things are not working as you expect...

    > [2.] Full description of the problem/report:
    > My system seems to use a lot of CPU time when writing CDs at 16x. The
    > system is unable to feed the burning software's buffer fast enough when
    > burning software (cdrecord 1.11a20, cdrdao 1.1.5) is run as normal user.
    > If run as root, system is almost unresponsive during the burn.

    With all the information you provided, you have totally not quatified
    how much CPU you find "excessive." I would not be surprised to see 10-15%
    of the CPU, virtually all in system time, as a normal burn of an ISO
    image. If the time is in user mode with other image types, it may well be
    that you are doing something which actually requires a lot of CPU (byte
    swapping or some such).

    Going from a disk to a CD using DMA on both should not take much
    *system* CPU, even if these are ATAPI (assuming they are not on the same
    cable).

    --
    bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc