SubjectRe: Make swsusp actually work
Hi!

> > > the documentation suggests that you do not need to specify resume= . Is
> > > this only true if you have the sysvinit patch in use? Is swapon -a
> >
> > Then docs is wrong.
> > Pavel
> Then you need to change this from your previous "all in one" patch.
>
> from the swsusp.txt in "Using the code" 3rd paragraph
> <
> Either way it saves the state of the machine into active swaps and then
> reboots. By the next booting the kernel's resuming function is either
> triggered by swapon -a (which is ought to be in the very early stage of
> booting) or you may explicitly specify the swap partition/file to resume
> from with ``resume='' kernel option.
> >
> This seems to suggest that you have a choice. Which last time i checked,
> you dont.

Fixed, thanx.

> from the swsusp.txt in "How the code works" 2nd paragraph
> Same thing as before basically. swapon -a does not trigger a resume
>
> under warnings!
> Ext3 fs seems to show no more of a risk than a non-journalling fs.
> perhaps that problem is reiserfs only?

Warning about journalling filesystem was obsoleted. In now should work
okay with journalled filesystems.

> Also, mention of the swap files being described in fstab is made in
> "Using the code" but no mention is made to how they must be loaded and
> must be actual raw partitions. Files of course would not work as viable
> swaps for resume because the fs would have to be mounted to load them.

Killed relevant part.

> and one more thing. What happens when you have multiple swap files all
> of equal priority (normal swap conditions have a striping effect (like
> raid)) Will swsusp choose one ? How do we know which one it chose? Is
> it just the first one in /proc/swaps all the time? That kind of
> behavior would be nice to document in swsusp.txt.

Just don't use multiple swap partitions for now.

> Thanks for the patches. it seems to work on my non X box (p4) just
> fine. I'll have to risk disaster and try it out on a dri X session soon
> since that's where the convenience would come into play.

Switch to text console and do suspend there. That should work.

Pavel

--
Casualities in World Trade Center: ~3k dead inside the building,
cryptography in U.S.A. and free speech in Czech Republic.