    SubjectRe: Linux 2.5.8-pre2
    On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 12:42:45PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
    > On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, Russell King wrote:
    > > On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 12:17:28PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
    > > > Please either add resource management code to anakinfb and clps711xfb,
    > > > or apply the patch below.
    > >
    > > They're not ISA nor PCI - in fact, they're specific system-on-a-chip
    > > framebuffers. I therefore don't see the point of your patch.
    >
    > Even then, please don't add them to the section marked with the comment
    > `Chipset specific drivers that use resource management'. My patch just moves
    > their initialization to the section marked with the comment `Chipset specific
    > drivers that don't use resource management (yet)'. So it's still valid.

    Ok, I agree the clps711x can be moved. As for Anakin, that's up to the
    anakin people to sort out - I've mailed them directly. There's a bunch
    of other stuff in there as well that needs to be fixed up.

    > > (Oh, and a bugbear - people go running around adding checks for the
    > > return value of request_region and friends on embedded devices where
    > > there can't be the possibility of a clash waste memory needlessly.)
    >
    > Perhaps you want to modularize the driver later? Resource management also
    > prevents you from insmoding two drivers for the same hardware.

    Point 1: You can't perform resource management on the System RAM since
    they're already claimed.
    Point 2: You can't perform resource management on bits in a control
    register that performs many other random functions; resource management
    is byte based not bit based.

    --
    Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk) The developer of ARM Linux