    SubjectRe: socket write(2) after remote shutdown(2) problem ?
    On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 04:04:51AM -0800, David S. Miller wrote:

    > As you can see, read() doesn't return any error, just 0 to
    > indicate end-of-file (seems correct interpretation of remote
    > shutdown here), but it doesn't report any error from the
    > precedent write... Bug ?
    > Race, wait a bit, the reset will arrive.

    Ok, I investigated this a bit more using setsockopt(...,SO_ERROR,...)

    After the write in the client (which is done after the server has
    shutdown()'ed it), the error bit is set on the client socket

    If the client issues a second write, the write fails (correctly)
    setting errno to -EPIPE.

    If the client issues a read, read doesn't return an error. The
    socket error bit is still there however, even after read() returns.

    If the client issues a close, close will return 0 too.

    Whether the read() should return the error bit or not is
    debatable, but IMHO close at least should propagate the error.

    Stelian Pop <>
    Alcove -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.023 / U:14.568 seconds]