    SubjectAW: Ext2 vs. ext3 recovery after crash

    Just for the sake of it, the C600 should be a Latitude :)

    Anyways, I had a C600 before as well, first on SuSE then on Redhat
    For RedHat it is easier to recompile new kernels etc, being the reason I
    kicked of SuSE.
    I installed 7RH.2 and downloaded 2.4.17 sources to run on it, since
    newer is better :)
    Never had any problems. (I hope you did not specify DELL Support in the
    options, did you?)

    Than I bought myself an Inspiron4100 which is now running 2.4.18. The
    only flaky things I've seen
    Is sound support on KDE, but that might have been related to aRts, and
    the ide-scsi driver does not
    Seem to work anymore since 2.4.17. Rest is all fine, even APM and the
    I usually have uptimes of 8 hours, during the week, and 2.5 days over
    the weekend.

    I compile newer kernels for my Inspiron always with DELL Laptop Support,
    which I never do for my C600.
    Both are currently happily running 2.4.18. Both kernels supports ext3
    and all filesystems except /dev/cdrom
    Are running ext3. X Environment is XFree4 with ATI Mobility Radeon M6
    Drivers. Kernel doesn't do any
    Framebuffering whatsoever, but supports the AGP Drivers for Radeon. X
    Desktop is KDE2, or KDE3RC3 depending on what I want to do :)

    Compiler: gcc 2.95.x

    Just my $0.02,