    > > On Saturday 27 April 2002 7:57 pm, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
    > > > Sorry if this is a FAQ, but where's the microcode.dat supposed to be
    > > > placed? I can't find any information about that in the doc.
    > >
    > > /usr/share/misc/microcode.dat
    > hm... but... Isn't the microcode update being done during kernel boot?
    > I rarely have a system set up with /usr on the same fs as /

    On my system it lives in /etc, but you can place it anywhere you want, see the
    part below which I copied from the microcode README

    >>> updating every system boot

    A simple script has been included for systems to apply the microcode
    update on boot. The script is a good illustration on how to use the
    utility but it may be useful to run through some basic usage.

    Without using the provided startup script, to update your microcode and
    free the internal buffer on every system boot you'll need to add a line
    like the following to /etc/rc.d/rc.local (where prefix indicates the
    location of the binary)

    prefix/microcode_ctl -iu

    or to specify another microcode file

    prefix/microcode_ctl -if /etc/microcode.dat

    Simple as that. Problems? Contact either myself at or
    Tigran at

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.021 / U:2.012 seconds]