    SubjectRe: [prepatch] address_space-based writeback
    At 16:53 27/04/02, Jan Harkes wrote:
    >On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 08:57:17AM +0100, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
    > > Yet, this really begs the question of defining the concept of a file. I am
    > > quite happy with files being the io entity in ntfs. It is just that each
    > > file in ntfs can contain loads of different data holding attributes which
    > > are all worth placing in address spaces. Granted, a dummy inode could be
    > > setup for each of those which just means a lot of wasted ram but ntfs is
    > > not that important so I have to take the penalty there. But if I also need
    > > unique inode numbers in those dummy inodes then the overhead is becoming
    > > very, very high...
    >You could have all additional IO streams use the same inode number and
    >use iget4. Several inodes can have the same i_ino and the additional
    >argument would be a stream identifier that selects the correct 'IO

    Great idea! I quickly looked into the implementation details and using
    iget4/read_inode2 perfectly reconciles my ideas of using an address space
    mapping for each ntfs attribute with the kernels requirement of using
    inodes as the i/o entity by allowing a clean and unique mapping between
    multiple inodes with the same inode numbers and their attributes and
    address spaces.

    I need to work out exactly how to do it but I will definitely go that way.
    That will make everything nice and clean and get rid of the existing
    kludges of passing around other types of objects instead of struct file *
    to my various readpage functions. Also I will be able to have fewer
    readpage functions... (-:

    Thanks for the suggestion!

    Best regards,

    "I've not lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere." - Unknown
    Anton Altaparmakov <aia21 at> (replace at with @)
    Linux NTFS Maintainer / IRC: #ntfs on
    WWW: &

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.083 / U:179.148 seconds]