SubjectRe: A CD with errors (scratches etc.) blocks the whole system while reading damadged files
On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 12:35:55AM -0700, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> Basically it is a global design flaw from the beginning, and since I have
> only 2.4 to address it is a real nasty! Short version, each subdriver
> personally does not do unique error handling. Thus a the simple good/bad
> approach to a darwin world has come to bite hard now. There is a failure
> to address error/sense decoding based on the operations requested to
> perform. Second the mainloop is ATA/IDE centered for all events and this
> is in proccess to be fixed for 2.4 soon. Third requires all ATAPI to
> decode wrt to primary opcode executed and sense of the preferred event
> tables and not the generic catch all.
>
> It is a blood mess, and difficult to describe over email :-/ (for me).

Ok, so there is hope for a fix. Andre, when you have the patches available,
I'm sure meny people from this thread would be willing to help test, just
announce.

Is there a place where you keep your latest patches with a little
documentation on the purpose of the changes?

> Cheers,
>
> Andre Hedrick
> LAD Storage Consulting Group
>
> PS Mike, "Mr. Hedrick" was my genetic donor, "Andre" is what I answer too.

?? I think you're thinking of someone else. Read below, I addressed you as
"Andre", and IIRC always have. I understand personally the "genetic donor"
problem though.

Mike

> > Also, can someone say for sure (Andre) that this is a hardware limitation,
> > not a Linux IDE locking problem, and with no possibility of a software
> > work-around?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.568 / U:0.116 seconds]