    SubjectMachine not freeing Cached Memory?
    Hi There,

    I'm having some VM problems. I wonder if anybody can help.

    I've got a box here that currently reports....

    holly:~/linux-2.4.14# free -tm
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 3021 1041 1980 0 4 885
    -/+ buffers/cache: 151 2870
    Swap: 3905 126 3779
    Total: 6927 1167 5759

    As you can see, it's a 3G physical RAM box. Currently it's sitting there
    with 885MB of Memory labeled as Cache, but if I run a process which requires
    lots of memory, then the system seems to prefer swapping, rather than
    freeing up the cache memory. For example...

    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 3021 3019 2 0 1 845
    -/+ buffers/cache: 2172 849
    Swap: 3905 488 3417
    Total: 6927 3508 3419

    Yes, some 40MB of cache gets freed, but it's mainly (300MB) of swap that
    gets used. This tends to slow down processes before they need to because the
    machine is thrashing (and I mean really hammering) swap.

    Anyone got any ideas?

    Kernel is 2.4.14, and it's a debian woody installation.

    Is a later version of 2.4 likly to help me here?

    Paul Sargent

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.042 / U:16.984 seconds]