SubjectRe: BK, deltas, snapshots and fate of -pre...
Olivier Galibert Awoke this dragon, who will now respond:

> > I shouldnt. its a pointless waste of bandwidth.
> >
> > Now, whats YOUR answer?
>
> Developpers need complete sources. No questions about that. If they
> don't have the complete sources, they'll fuck things up. So the
> developpers have zero use for partial downloadings.

Sorry, that doesnt fly. If I dont work on SCSI, only on networking, I
/dont/ need the SCSI code. Even if I had it, I wouldnt read it.

I deleted all the arch directories except ARM and X86 on my machine to
speed up grepping the kernel.

so, not having all the source can speed thigs up.

> Some users may like to be able to download only the core code and
> drivers/filesystems/architectures they use.

This developer would too.

> Ignoring the obvious
> version drift problems that will happen,

Why would they happen?

> proposing such a service
> requires work and a large amount of bandwidth. Do you volunteer?

Surely it requires LESS bandwidth than if people are sucking the WHOLE
kernel ?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.462 / U:0.288 seconds]