SubjectAW: Re: VLAN and Network Drivers 2.4.x

I made some tests with Windows2000. I have to set the MTU manually (in the registry) to 1496 to get all working. Thats ok for a few clients, but not for many.

> We can use testing of patched drivers, so if you do patch any
> and have good results, then let us know and the driver changes might
> get pushed into the kernel sooner.

I don't use a kernel driver, i use a driver from a manufacturer. ZNYX provides some with Source, but i'm not the nic-register-voodoo-man to allow this driver to receive larger frames. I just changed some defines, but this doesn't work.

I use the ZNYX driver cause i didn't got Jeffs Tulip driver to work correctly with my card (346Q). Maybe the tulip driver works better now, but this is not the point.

The point is that i get no information if VLAN works with a nic/driver (including third party drivers) without MTU limitations.

There should really be a flag, a tag or a capability thing in the driver which says "VLAN not possible", when vconfig tries to add a VLAN. So if i get a third party driver, vconfig would report if i can use it or not.

Today i have to test it with every nic/driver - not so nice. But think of others, who are not so involved in networking things, they setup a vlan like you (and e.g. Cisco or 3COM) described and get problems with ftp, large pings, etc. pp.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.109 / U:0.068 seconds]