SubjectAW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: VLAN and Network Drivers 2.4.x

But it would do, what we expect. VLAN on a e.g. unpatched tulip driver is somewhat unpredictable.
You can hope any application is using small packets, but if not things get worse.

> I'm all for warning the user, but since the
> MTU issue can be worked around by setting the VLAN MTU to 1496,
> and sometimes setting the eth0 MTU to 1504, then putting hard
> restrictions in the kernel sounds like a really bad idea.

This sounds very "experimental". What about the non-VLAN packets on eth0, when you set the MTU
1504?

I like the NETIF_F_VLAN_CHALLENGED capability in the driver itself, which is then tested by the net subsystem on
creation of a VLAN. No more tweaks and fiddling around with MTU and framesizes.

Greetings

Jochen Dolze

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.059 / U:0.360 seconds]