    SubjectRe: Bio pool & scsi scatter gather pool usage
    On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Andrew Morton wrote:

    > Alan Cox wrote:
    > >
    > > > Perhaps, but calls are expensive. Repeated calls down stacked block
    > > > devices will add up. In only the most unusually cases will there
    > >
    > > You don't need to repeatedly query. At bind time you can compute the
    > > limit for any device heirarchy and be done with it.
    > >
    > S'pose so. The ideal request size is variable, based
    > on the alignment. So for exampe if the start block is
    > halfway into a stripe, the ideal BIO size is half a stripe.
    > But that's a pretty simple table to generate once-off,
    > as you say.

    Perhaps we can return request size _and_ stripe alignment at bind time.
    Then we can do the right thing for RAID/LVM/etc in a pretty
    straightforward manner. LVMs of RAIDs can return an GCD(LVM stripe, RAID
    stripe) and non-striped devices can return 0 to indicate no restrictions.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.019 / U:48.308 seconds]