    SubjectRe: IDE/raid performance
    Quoting Mike Dresser (mdresser_l@windsormachine.com):
    > On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Baldur Norddahl wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have been doing some simple benchmarks on my IDE system. It got 12 disks
    > > and a system disk. The 12 disks are organized in two raids like this:
    >
    > What is the exact hardware configuration of the system, besides the disk?
    > CPU/Motherboard/etc?

    Motherboard: Tyan Tiger MPX S2466N
    Chipset: AMD 760MPX
    CPU: Dual Athlon MP 1800+ 1.53 GHz
    Two Promise Technology UltraDMA133 TX2 controllers
    Two Promise Technology UltraDMA100 TX2 controllers
    Matrox G200 AGP video card.
    1 GB registered DDR RAM

    > > hdq: dma_intr: bad DMA status (dma_stat=35)
    > > hdq: dma_intr: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
    > > hdq: dma_intr: bad DMA status (dma_stat=35)
    > > hdq: dma_intr: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
    > > hdt: dma_intr: bad DMA status (dma_stat=75)
    > > hdt: dma_intr: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
    >
    > I'd take a look at the cable on hdq and hdt. Try replacing it, and see
    > what happens.

    It happens randomly for all disks on the promise controllers. Never for the
    system disk on hda (on the motherboard buildin controller). The above was
    just a random snippet from dmesg, there is alot more of the same spam.

    > Also, with 12 hd's, dual cpu's, etc, what kind of power supply are you
    > using?

    It is a 350W powersupply. I wanted something bigger, but couldn't get it for
    sane prices. I can't rule out that it is overloaded of course. If it is, I
    haven't seen any other symptoms, the system is rock stable so far.

    Baldur

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.024 / U:62.060 seconds]