    SubjectRe: IO performance problems in 2.4.19-pre5 when writing to DVD-RAM/ZIP/MO

    > Judging from the performance regression above it would seem the
    > new defaults suck rocks.

    I first thought that 2.4.19-pre5 would be better than 2.4.18 because
    vmstat showed that 2.4.19-pre5 could still read 1-2 MB per second from
    HDD while writing to DVD-RAM, whereas 2.4.18 blocked totally for more
    than 10 seconds or so. But there are short moments under both kernels
    (with default bdflush parameters) where you get data from HDD at a
    very high rate before it drops again. It seems the main throughput
    over a long time stems from these short moments.

    > Can we please stop optimising Linux for a single workload benchmark
    > and start tuning it for the common case of running multiple kinds
    > of applications and making sure one application can't mess up the
    > others ?
    > Personally I couldn't care less if my tar went 30% faster if it
    > meant having my desktop unresponsive for the whole time.

    That's why I did the benchmarks in the first place, because my desktop
    was unresponsive while writing to DVD-RAM.

    Dipl.-Phys. Moritz Franosch

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.022 / U:4.888 seconds]