    SubjectRe: linux as a minicomputer ?
    > Oh yes, but the *expensive* part of the machine -- the multiprocessor
    > box -- isn't.

    If you need SMP (frequently doubtful) its a price, but dual celeron and
    dual duron are cheap if you buy them from sensible vendors.

    > Also, when using massmarket systems of more than 2 or 3 monitors you
    > start having cabling problems. VGA connectors aren't impedance matched
    > and cause nasty reflections at high resolutions, so they don't extend
    > well. I guess digital video is coming, but is not yet mass market.

    Indeed and most of it is not specced for long distances. It will also no
    doubt be held up even more now the encryption on the wire wants to be augmented
    by the newer watermarking stuff so the monitor won't show movies without

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.021 / U:8.696 seconds]