    SubjectRe: ux as a minicomputer ?
    On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 12:29:23PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > Alan Cox wrote:
    > >
    > >>This is fundamentally the problem with these kinds of schemes -- they
    > >>get outcompeted on price and availability by the massmarket items.
    > >>This is part of the very attraction of Linux -- it's running Unix on
    > >>stock, cheap, hardware.
    > >
    > > The hardware is now massmarket - otherwise I'd agree wholeheartedly. Video
    > > cards are cheap, USB2.0 cards have 4 root bridges per card.
    > >

    > Oh yes, but the *expensive* part of the machine -- the multiprocessor
    > box -- isn't.
    >
    > Also, when using massmarket systems of more than 2 or 3 monitors you
    > start having cabling problems. VGA connectors aren't impedance matched
    > and cause nasty reflections at high resolutions, so they don't extend
    > well. I guess digital video is coming, but is not yet mass market.
    >
    > -hpa

    A single 1000Mhz+ CPU is overkill for most desktop users.

    Most medium to large workplaces are vast cubicle farms. Put
    one box at the intersection of 4 cubes...bingo 2meter VGA
    cables reach fine and you get 1/4th the maintenance, 1/4 the
    network drops, etc. This would even be advantagious for two desks
    side-by-side or back-to-back.