SubjectRe: ux as a minicomputer ?
On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 12:29:23PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Alan Cox wrote:
> >
> >>This is fundamentally the problem with these kinds of schemes -- they
> >>get outcompeted on price and availability by the massmarket items.
> >>This is part of the very attraction of Linux -- it's running Unix on
> >>stock, cheap, hardware.
> >
> > The hardware is now massmarket - otherwise I'd agree wholeheartedly. Video
> > cards are cheap, USB2.0 cards have 4 root bridges per card.
> >

> Oh yes, but the *expensive* part of the machine -- the multiprocessor
> box -- isn't.
>
> Also, when using massmarket systems of more than 2 or 3 monitors you
> start having cabling problems. VGA connectors aren't impedance matched
> and cause nasty reflections at high resolutions, so they don't extend
> well. I guess digital video is coming, but is not yet mass market.
>
> -hpa

A single 1000Mhz+ CPU is overkill for most desktop users.

Most medium to large workplaces are vast cubicle farms. Put
one box at the intersection of 4 cubes...bingo 2meter VGA
cables reach fine and you get 1/4th the maintenance, 1/4 the
network drops, etc. This would even be advantagious for two desks
side-by-side or back-to-back.