    SubjectRe: Using video memory as system memory
    Byron Stanoszek <> writes:

    > I have an old 586 that has low memory and no ability for further upgrades.
    > I had an idea to use the framebuffer memory of a 32MB video card lying around
    > the office as system memory and implemented the following patch:

    There are significant speed differences between video card ram
    and ram on a PCI card.

    Setup an mtd device and use the video card ram for swap. It's
    about 10 lines more code, is testable as a module, and is code that
    is clean enough some variant of it might even get into the kernel.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.019 / U:8.536 seconds]