SubjectRe: implementing soft-updates
On Apr 10, 2002  11:28 +0200, Dominik Kubla wrote:
> try to implement the snapshot capability for ext2/ext3. Everyone of us
> who has to do live backups of production systems will thank you if you
> get that development started.

LVM can already do snapshots at the device level. It integrates with
ext3/XFS/reiserfs via sync_super_lockfs/unlockfs so that what is in
the snapshot is a consistent, clean filesystem.

There might need to be a little touchup with ext2 to support these
calls, but even in the current state you get a usable filesystem
snapshot, with the exception that the filesystem has not been marked

As for a filesystem-level ext2/ext3 snapshot, this has also already
been done ( The people who took over that
project have removed all of the released files and CVS, but you can
still get the CVS from the sourceforge CVS backups. I also have a
version here, but don't have any time to work on it.

Cheers, Andreas
Andreas Dilger