    SubjectRe: 2.5.7 compile errors w/ Compaq DL360 Smart2 controller
    On Apr 01, 2002  19:37 -0800, James E. Hitzroth wrote:
    > File drivers/block/smart1,2.h
    > line 256 needs 'c' comment
    > 242 static unsigned long smart1_completed(ctlr_info_t *h)
    > 254
    > 255
    > 256 # error Please convert me to Documentation/DMA-mapping.txt

    No, actually "#error" is a C pre-processor directive to cause the
    compiler to generate an error at that spot (#warning generates a
    compiler warning).

    This was obviously put there by someone because this driver needs to be
    updated to match a change in an API in the 2.5 kernel. Making it a
    comment means that either you will get a compile error anyways, but
    without the useful pointer as to how it can be fixed, or worse - no
    compile error but problems (including data corruption) later on.

    I would do as the message states, and read DMA-mapping.txt to fix this.
    Quite often kernel developers do not have access to all of the hardware
    supported by Linux, so it is up to people like yourself who _do_ have
    this hardware to fix it and test it - it is in your own best interest
    to do so.

    Cheers, Andreas
    Andreas Dilger \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and a pound of antipasto,
    \ would they cancel out, leaving him still hungry?" -- Dogbert

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.022 / U:10.756 seconds]