SubjectRe: 2.5.7 compile errors w/ Compaq DL360 Smart2 controller
On Apr 01, 2002  19:37 -0800, James E. Hitzroth wrote:
> File drivers/block/smart1,2.h
> line 256 needs 'c' comment
> 242 static unsigned long smart1_completed(ctlr_info_t *h)
> 254
> 255
> 256 # error Please convert me to Documentation/DMA-mapping.txt

No, actually "#error" is a C pre-processor directive to cause the
compiler to generate an error at that spot (#warning generates a
compiler warning).

This was obviously put there by someone because this driver needs to be
updated to match a change in an API in the 2.5 kernel. Making it a
comment means that either you will get a compile error anyways, but
without the useful pointer as to how it can be fixed, or worse - no
compile error but problems (including data corruption) later on.

I would do as the message states, and read DMA-mapping.txt to fix this.
Quite often kernel developers do not have access to all of the hardware
supported by Linux, so it is up to people like yourself who _do_ have
this hardware to fix it and test it - it is in your own best interest
to do so.

Cheers, Andreas
Andreas Dilger \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and a pound of antipasto,
\ would they cancel out, leaving him still hungry?" -- Dogbert