SubjectRe: [RFC] modularization of i386 setup_arch and mem_init in 2.4.18
> As a sidenote (sort of related topic) :
> An idea being kicked around a little right now is x86 subarch
> support for 2.5. With so many of the niche x86 spin-offs appearing
> lately, all fighting for their own piece of various files in
> arch/i386/kernel/, it may be time to do the same as the ARM folks
> did,
> and have..

> arch/i386/generic/
> arch/i386/numaq/
> arch/i386/visws
> arch/i386/voyager/
> etc..

I'll go for this (although it's probably a 2.5 thing rather than 2.4). The
key to making an effective split is to get the abstractions in the generic
part correct. I suspect that each of the different arch's has slightly
different abstraction requirements of the i386 routines, but if we begin the
split in one arch and pass it around to the others we'll end up with something
that is roughly correct.

I'll look at doing at least a generic and voyager in the next week (if I get
time).

James

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.024 / U:0.096 seconds]