    SubjectRe: 2.5.6 IDE oops with i810 chipset
    On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Gunther Mayer wrote:

    > Andre Hedrick wrote:

    > > > OK thank you very much this helps. I will actually have to fake the
    > > > detection on my system to think it's the same as yours...
    > > > One thing for sure: it's not dircetly inside the
    > > > PCI host initialization, so I wonder why this problem
    > > > doesn't occur to more people.
    > >
    > > You will soon learn about the way ATAPI removable media violate the rules
    > > of how the maintain their status and signal lines. However you already
    > > knew this information as I am wasting electrons
    >
    > Can you get more specific ?
    >
    > Do you mean
    > a) Some ATAPI devices violate the "ATA/ATAPI-4" NCITS 317-1998 standard (or
    > a newer version),

    Few conform to "ATA/ATAPI-4" NCITS 317-1998 standard" or newer

    > And your driver contained workarounds for these buggy devices? (And
    > Martins driver doesn't contain these.)
    > b) Your driver conforms to the standard, and Martin's driver does not?

    It may look like a simple protocol, and it is once you understand it and
    all the nasties done to it by the ATAPI folks.

    I do not know because I am working on making the ATA/ATAPI transport work
    correctly in 2.4 and will release something in 2.6.

    Regards,

    Andre Hedrick
    The Second Linux X-IDE guy

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.032 / U:29.876 seconds]