    Subject"layered" block devices and deadlock problems
    Hi, I have been trying to write a kernel driver for a
    "layered" block device, that is, a virtual device
    which sits on top of actual physical devices and
    redirects read/write requests to them. To avoid
    problems in the interrupt context I save the requests
    in a queue in the request function and have a kernel
    thread pulling the requests out of the queue and then
    in turn calling read() or write() functions of the
    physical block device.

    However, I keep running into deadlocks. Sometimes the
    kernel thread will hang on waiting for free request
    structures. Other times it will hang in
    wait_for_buffer() in buffer.c. In both cases the
    system won't respond to any new shell commands I typed
    in. (But existing processes like xosview and top
    continue to run) Since I am not familiar with the
    internal workings of the buffer cache, can anyone give
    me hints on how to avoid deadlocks in layered drivers?
    Or pointers to useful documentation for this kind of
    tasks are also appreciated.

    Do You Yahoo!?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:21    [W:0.024 / U:2.276 seconds]