    SubjectRe: Kernel Oops in 2.4.18 (ide.c)

    --- Zwane Mwaikambo <zwane@linux.realnet.co.sz> wrote:
    > On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Beef Arrowny wrote:
    >
    > > I think I've got all the right info, but here
    > goes:
    > >
    > > I'm trying to get my RICOH MP6200A CD-RW to work
    > on
    > > this new machine I just built. I've gotten it to
    > work
    > > in the past, but it's always been blind luck.
    > This is
    > > the first time I've gotten an oops however.
    >
    > I sent a patch to fix the oops, but not the
    > underlying problem a while
    > back, so thats probably why it hasn't made it into
    > mainline. Jens might
    > know wether the drive is a problematic one.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Zwane

    Can you give me a hint as to what I might be able to
    do to modify it and fix it? I'm not an expert in C
    coding, but I can mill my way around... I can
    understand why such a patch may be left out of the
    mainstream kernel, but I wouldn't mind applying it in
    my case.

    Just for some more info on the problem. I did some
    more reboots last night, and I did get the 'eject sr0'
    to work once. I then pressed the CD back in and tried
    the eject again, and froze up hard. no Oops that
    time. So it works intermittently.

    Thanks for your prompt reply.

    Regards,
    Toby