    SubjectRe: Recommendations about a 100/10 NIC
    On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Ken Brownfield wrote:

    > Haven't had any issues at all with eepro100 or e100 under production
    > load for years. Since Tulip went out of the mainstream (poor Digital)
    > the EtherExpress has been the most stable everywhere I've been. I've
    > written too many scripts for 3Com boxes that grep dmesg for "fatal"
    > errors and unload/reload the 3com module.

    Ran into problems with Intel EtherExpress cards under Alpha a while back,
    and I've had a _lot_ of problems with the revision of the EtherExpress
    built into motherboards, versus the intel or kernel drivers for them.

    My stock recommendation is thus SMC EtherPower II cards.

    --
    -- John E. Jasen (jjasen1@umbc.edu)
    -- In theory, theory and practise are the same. In practise, they aren't.