    SubjectRe: PPP feature request (Tx queue len + close)

    > > effectively makes your window equal to 1 segment. In any case small PPP
    > > queue won't make any good for you.
    > Nope. Remember that I have buffers below PPP. The transmit
    >path within PPP and IrNET is minimal (no framing), so buffers in PPP
    >and below PPP are logically equivalent.
    True. PPP is a sort of "pass through" thing in your case.

    > > I was under assumption that you know for sure that buffering is bad for
    > you :)
    > We are running circles. I want to reduce the amount of buffers
    >below TCP. This includes PPP buffers and buffers below PPP (both are
    >logically equivalent).
    > Both of you are saying "increase buffers at PPP level and
    >reduce below TCP", but this doesn't make sense, and that's what I was
    >pointing out. You have to think on the whole stack, not each
    >individual component.
    Yes. I see your point. It doesn't really make any difference which layer
    buffers stuff (unless that layer introduces delays). So I guess in your case
    you can just set txqueuelen to 1 if you're sure that underlying layer has long
    enough queues.

    > > All this depends on what you want to achieve. If you're looking for max TCP
    > > performance. I'd recommend to use tcptrace and see what actually is
    > going on.
    > > May be your RTT is to high and you need bigger windows or may be there is
    > > something else.
    > I get 3.2 Mb/s TCP throughput over a 4Mb/s IrDA link layer, so
    >I'm not concernet with max performance. My question is more "how much
    >buffers can I trim without impacting performance". The goal is to
    >improve latency and decrease ressource consumption.
    I see.
    Did you try ifconfig txqueuelen 1 ?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.057 / U:0.076 seconds]