    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.19-pre5
    On Sat, 2002-03-30 at 16:33, Randy Hron wrote:
    > > > run. More importantly, read_latency2 drops max latency
    > > > with 32-128 tiobench threads from 300-600+ seconds
    > > > down to 2-8 seconds. (2.4.19-pre5 is still unfair
    > > > to some read requests when threads >= 32)
    > >
    > > These numbers are surprising. The get_request starvation
    > > change should have smoothed things out. Perhaps there's
    > > something else going on, or it's not working right. If
    > > you could please send me all the details to reproduce this
    > > I'll take a look. Thanks.
    > There was an improvement (reduction) in max latency
    > during sequential _writes after get_request starvation
    > went in. Tiobench didn't show an improvement for seq _read
    > max latency though. read_latency2 makes the huge difference.
    > The sequential read max latency walls for various trees looks like:
    > tree # of threads
    > rmap 128
    > ac 128
    > marcelo 32
    > linus 64
    > 2.5-akpm-everything >128
    > 2.4 read latency2 >128
    > I.E. tiobench with threads > the numbers above would probably
    > give the impression the machine was locked up or frozen if your
    > read request was the unlucky max. The average latencies are
    > generally reasonable. It's the max, and % of high latency

    Is that to say an ac branch (which uses rmap) can do the 128 but is
    non-responsive? I sent a couple mails of my own preliminary runs and
    the feel i got when running the test was absolutely no effect on
    responsiveness even as the load hit 110. Of course this is with riel's
    preempt patch for 2.4.19-pre4-ac3. I guess I'll try with threads = 256
    just to see if this frozen feeling occurs in preempt kernels as well.
    You dont seem to test them anywhere on your own site.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.044 / U:17.516 seconds]