SubjectRe: PCMCIA-related IDE problems - "hda: lost interrupt"
Hi there -

I was lucky today finding another solution that helped me out:

It seems the 2.4 kernel series produce the problem of messing with PCI
interrupts.
I had no problem with one and the same pcmcia_cs package with a 2.2.9 kernel
which locked up ALL of the 2.4 kernels I tried meanwile (I am on 2.4.18 now
using the kernel-owned pcmcia modules, yenta_socket, which does not seem to know
any parameters at all).

Today I found a hint on giving the kernel an irqmask on bootup in the lilo.conf
file:
append="pci=irqmask=0xafff"

This prevents the vital IRQs of ide or mouse from being taken by the PCI bridge
when the yenta_socket or i82365 module is loaded. (Unloading the module again
would not give back interrupt control - so a reboot was the final step)

Charles Briscoe-Smith wrote:

> > Personal question: did you find a solution?
>
> Yes, I did, and it has since been documented in the PCMCIA HOWTO,
> section 2.3, subsection "Card readers for desktop systems":
>
> For Chase CardPORT and Altec ISA card readers using the Cirrus PD6722
> ISA-to-PCMCIA bridge, the i82365 driver should be loaded with a
> ``has_ring=0'' parameter to prevent irq 15 conflicts.
>
> I had been trying the option "has_ring=1", which I didn't know was
> the default.
>
> [ CC'ed linux-kernel so that this gets into its archives. I am not on
> linux-kernel so, if replying, please CC me (and, I presume, Ulrich). ]

Thanks for your hint!

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.029 / U:0.852 seconds]