> computer and not on another, whereas they run the same version of
> Linux and have near-identical motherboards and BIOS versions.]
> [Detailed hardware configuration is given at bottom.]

Since you didn't mention it I assume you haven't tested the ide cables.

Did you try changing the cables?

I myself have been experiencing problems that were related to a faulty
ide cable which looked fine on the surface. The kernel will try
resetting ideX continuously causing (in my case) filesystem corruption
in the end... It's not a pretty sight.

Michiel van de Garde
Parser Consultancy

"I do not require that my work be confirmed by observation. It is enough
that it fit well enough that everyone believes it to be right."
- Stephen Hawking