SubjectRe: 2.4.19pre1aa1
Date
On March 4, 2002 03:25 am, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 02:46:22AM +0100, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> > As soon as you have shared pages you start to benefit from rmap's ability
> > to unmap in one step, so the cost of creating the link is recovered by not
>
> we'd benefit also with unshared pages.
>
> BTW, for the map shared mappings we just collect the rmap information,
> we need it for vmtruncate, but it's not layed out for efficient
> browsing, it's only meant to make vmtruncate work.

Sorry, transmission error, what did you mean?

> > having to scan two page tables to unmap it. In theory. Do you see a hole
> > in that?
>
> Just the fact you never need the reverse lookup during lots of
> important production usages (first that cames to mind is when you have
> enough ram to do your job, all number crunching/fileserving, and most
> servers are setup that way). This is the whole point. Note that this
> has nothing to do with the "cache" part, this is only about the
> pageout/swapout stage, only a few servers really needs heavy swapout.

You always have to unmap the page at some point, so you win back the cost
of creating the pte_chain there, hopefully. You could argue that paying
the cost up front makes latency a little worse. You might have trouble
measuring that though.

> ...Another bit in the current design of round robin cycling
> over the whole VM clearing the accessed bitflag and activating physical
> pages if needed, can also be see also as a feature in some ways. It is
> much better at providing a kind of "clock based" aging to the accessed
> bit information, while the lru pass rmap aware, wouldn't really be fair
> with all the virtual pages the same way as we do now.

You get a perfectly good clock by scanning the lru list. It's not
totally fair because a page newly promoted from the cold end to the hot
end of the list will get scanned again after a much shorter delta-t,
but it's hard to see why that's bad.

--
Daniel