    SubjectRe: down
    On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 10:50:22AM +0000, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
    > Larry McVoy <> writes:
    > >The drive has bad blocks and when it hits them it goes into retry la la land,
    > >so I won't know which data is bad until I hit the bad blocks.
    > You've learned now the hard way why integrity checks in an application
    > will never be able to replace things like backups or RAID systems.
    > Maybe you want to reread the flamewar^Wthread from some time ago with
    > your new knowledge.

    You obviously didn't read that thread. Both in the context of
    BitKeeper and in the context of normal data, you would have seen that
    we have backups, we just have backups that we can verify are correct.
    The repositories on are automirrored after each incoming event.
    There were a few ppc ones which were not and we're still trying to figure
    out why, and things like the .ssh keys were not completely backed up;
    we're fixing that by putting that information into a BK repository so
    it will just automirror like everything else.

    I'm not sure why you yanking my chain, it's counter productive and
    flat out rude after I just spent two days doing nothing but putting
    things back together for kernel developers. What, exactly, did you
    hope to accomplish?
    Larry McVoy lm at

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.023 / U:11.992 seconds]