    SubjectRe: ANN: NTFS 2.0.1 for kernel 2.5.7 released
    Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Padraig Brady wrote:
    >
    >>Is this a good default?
    >

    > I don't see what's wrong with that. It follows the logic of least
    > surprise. In Windows all files are executable as there is no way to
    > distinguish executables from non-executables due to lack of executable
    > bit. NTFS on Linux has no way of telling the difference either and hence
    > it makes sense to allow execution of all files.
    >
    > If you don't like it, use -o noexec,fmask=0111 and you will not have any
    > files being executable.
    >

    >>IMHO you usually would not want to execute stuff off NTFS, and
    >>if you do you can always just explicitly invoke using wine like:
    >>`wine /ntfs/lookout.exe`
    >

    > No you couldn't.

    why not? wine should be changed to allow this if
    it is a limitation with it.

    >>To have all files executable breaks stuff like:
    >>midnight commander (won't open executable files)
    >

    > Ouch, that is plain stupid... mc should be fixed. I open executables all
    > the time and mc should automatically fire up a hexeditor.

    Well by not opening I meant it tries to run them
    which is sensible really. I would guess any unix
    filemanager is going to have some issues with all
    files having executable bits set.

    Isn't there some kludge for vfat where it marks
    *.{com,exe,bat} as executable?

    >>ls colorizing
    >

    > I like green files. (-;

    Well I hate them :-)
    Also coloring is wrong in mc and probably other things.

    >>shell tab completion
    >

    > Heh?!? Works for me. Fix your shell settings.

    > Like what?
    >

    >>see:
    >>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=100143416100009&r=1&w=2
    >

    > Read it. I still don't see any reason for not having x on files by
    > default.
    >

    >>I think the default should be
    >>rx for directories and r for files
    >

    > If you think so just use fmask to clear the x bit and be happy.
    >
    > I guess if more people complain I can change the default fmask to be 0177
    > instead of 0077 but I want to see more complaints first. I personally find
    > the being able to execute behaviour better as I run things off the ntfs
    > partitions...
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Anton

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.038 / U:32.016 seconds]