    SubjectRe: Linux Kernel Patch; setpriority
    * Stephen Baker ( wrote:
    > This patch will allow a process or thread to changes it's priority
    > dynamically based on it's capabilities. In our case we wanted to use
    > threads with Linux. To have true priorities we need root to use
    > SCHED_FIFO or SCHED_RR; in many case root access is not allowed but we
    > still wanted priorities. So we started using setpriority to change a
    > threads priority. Now we used nice values from 19 to 0 which did not
    > require root access. In some cases a thread need to raise it's nice
    > level and this would fail. I also saw a note man renice(8) that said
    > this bug exists.

    hmm, SUS v3 seems to disagree.

    "Only a process with appropriate privileges can lower its nice value."

    and with this patch setpriority(2) is now inconsistent with nice(2)
    (albeit i don't know how much longer that interface will persist in arch
    independent portion of the kernel based on the comments surrounding it).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.026 / U:1.780 seconds]