SubjectRe: time jumps
There is a hardware bug on some via 686a systems where the RTC appears
automagically change it's programmed value.

A patch was originally made against 2.4.2, and some version of this
appears to be applied to current kernels (I don't have a vanilla
2.4.17 to check against). Look in arch/i386/kernel/time.c for mention
of 686a.

It appears to only be used if the kernel's not compiled with
CONFIG_X86_TSC though, so if you have that defined you may not see the
problem at all...

Mark