    SubjectRe: IDE and hot-swap disk caddies
    > I have seen USB mass storage devices with ide connector on them, so it
    > is certainly possible to translate between scsi and ide. If it makes
    > sense from performance standpoint.... I don't know.

    SCSI->IDE command translation isnt too hard providing you stick to simple
    stuff and blindly ignore things like ATAPI, SMART, and all the control
    stuff. The moment you get into the complex stuff its deeply unfunny.

    On the read/write side SCSI->IDE command mapping generally works out. Its
    not pretty on the corner cases (like error mapping) and it does mean you
    have a lot of excess overhead and potentially serious problems with performance
    because IDE (well ATA technically) is very very sensitive to round trip time

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.021 / U:58.660 seconds]