SubjectRe: DE and hot-swap disk caddies
On Wed Mar 27, 2002 at 03:57:48PM -0800, Andre Hedrick wrote:
> > If you really want to build in IDE hot swap support, I demand it comes
> > with a warning: Enabling this option will probably destroy your harddisks
> > and your chipset. Feel free to continue, but don't blame us.
>
> FYI, there was almost a witch hunt when I went into T13 with a SCA4ATA
> proposal. You understand the issue and I am glad it was you and not me to
> have to bang this drum. Thanks.

Ok. How about my laptop? I have an ATAPI zip drive I can plug
in instead of a second battery. It is the only device on the
second IDE bus (hdc). In windows there is a little hotplug
utility thing one runs before unplugging the zip drive. In Linux
I currently have to reboot if I want the ide-floppy driver to see
the device... I'm willing to bet that Dell has done mysterious
stuff to make the electrical part work. It would sure be nice if
I could ask the ide driver to kindly re-scan for /dev/hdc now.

Is whatever windows is doing when I hotplug my zip drive somehow
unsafe, such that supporting the same functionality on Linux is
somehow a Bad Thing(tm)?

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen http://codepoet-consulting.com/