    From: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
    To: <danny@mailmij.org>
    Cc: <cooker@linux-mandrake.com>; <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
    Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 8:05 AM
    Subject: Re: [Cooker] (RFC) Supermount 2

    > > > 3) Built-in support for packet-writing. ( i.e. insert packet-writing
    formatted disk and it loads appropriate kernel modules. )

    > > > There may be other features added if there is an interest in them. I
    will need assistance with the packet-writing support. I am only planning to
    do this for the 2.5.x and later kernels, so if anyone else wishes to
    back-port it to an older kerenl series, by all means do so. I have wanted to
    make some kind of contribution to this project for some time and I feel that
    this is something that will be useful.

    > > What about doing it in userspace? I remember seeing Alan Cox writing he
    > > had a proof of concept of something like this on some ftp server (sorry,
    > > cannot remember where).
    >
    > http://ftp.linux.org.uk/pub/linux/alan - you want volumagic. Its a demo of
    > the theory (but quite usable).
    >
    > Doing supermount in kernel is suprisingly hard, the locking and races you
    get
    > into are not nice at all - ask Juan about that
    > -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.022 / U:0.560 seconds]