    >> From: Larry McVoy <>
    >> Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 15:25:02 -0800
    >> Come on Pavel, in order to make this happen, you have to
    >> a) run the installer as root
    >> b) know the next pid which will be allocated
    >> c) put the symlink in /tmp/installer$pid
    >>Exploit: Make all 65535 $pid simlinks
    >>It's very exploitable actually, and is similar in vein to
    >>all the ancient mktemp stuff.
    > Hey Dave, are you suggesting that no such exploits exist in Red Hat's
    > rpm system? In order for that to be true, rpm would have to be making
    > sure that each and every directory along any path that it writes is
    > not writable except by priviledged users. I just checked, it doesn't.
    > We can sit here all day and make a big deal out of this, I think it's a
    > waste of time. I'm not an advocate of insecure software and I'm happy
    > to close any holes that people think need closing, but you're just
    > wasting time. This isn't an issue. If you really, really cared, there
    > is nothing to prevent you from downloading the BK image, unpacking it on
    > a throwaway machine, back it back up again in a shar file or whatever,
    > and then installing it.
    > At some point, people get to take responsibility for their own choices.

    BTW> The proper way of using files in /tmp is not to make guessable
    filenames in the cathegory /tmp/gangbang$pid!

    Please explore the world of mkstemp() and friends on the manpages
    and forget about create() or O_* for this purpose. OK?
    As an added bonus you will not break export TMPDIR=~/mybed
    and firends for the paranoid users.

    This should be a reflex for someone with such a Sun heritage like you...

    And finally - please don't mistake me - I don't think that this issue
    is a big deal in this particular case...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.046 / U:0.080 seconds]