SubjectRe: Network Security hole (was -> Re: arp bug )
On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 04:21:24PM -0800, wrote:
> The fact that the routing layer and application layers of Linux's
> TCP/IP stack are one and the same is a difficulty here which the
> IP firewalling code in Linux does not fix. I.e. if I wanted to
> have routing as well, but not accept any packets internally *not*
> destined for my interface, I'm not sure how to specify it without
> something like TCP wrappers, as sleazy as they can be, and they
> don't offer this kind of capability in general as is.

Linux 2.4 netfilter:

Incoming Outgoing
interface interface
| ^
v |
INPUT -------------> Application -----------> OUTPUT
The names in capitals are the names of the tables. You can control
packets that the local machine sees completely independently of what
gets routed through the machine with a kernel supporting iptables
by adding the appropriate rules to the input and forward tables.

Russell King ( The developer of ARM Linux