    SubjectRe: Network Security hole (was -> Re: arp bug )
    On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 04:21:24PM -0800, erich@uruk.org wrote:
    > The fact that the routing layer and application layers of Linux's
    > TCP/IP stack are one and the same is a difficulty here which the
    > IP firewalling code in Linux does not fix. I.e. if I wanted to
    > have routing as well, but not accept any packets internally *not*
    > destined for my interface, I'm not sure how to specify it without
    > something like TCP wrappers, as sleazy as they can be, and they
    > don't offer this kind of capability in general as is.

    Linux 2.4 netfilter:

    Incoming Outgoing
    interface interface
    | ^
    v |
    INPUT -------------> Application -----------> OUTPUT

    The names in capitals are the names of the tables. You can control
    packets that the local machine sees completely independently of what
    gets routed through the machine with a kernel supporting iptables
    by adding the appropriate rules to the input and forward tables.

    --
    Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk) The developer of ARM Linux