SubjectRe: fadvise syscall?
On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 01:41:37PM +0000, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
> We don't need fadvise IMHO. That is what open(2) is for. The streaming
> request you are asking for is just a normal open(2). It will do read ahead
> which is perfect for streaming (of data size << RAM size in its current form).
A quick real world example of where fadvise can work well.
Imagine a database appliction that doesn't use O_DIRECT (for whatever
reason, could even be that they don't trust the linux implementation yet
:-). So, this database gets a query. That query requires a full table
scan, so it calls fadvise(fd, F_SEQUENTIAL). Then another query does
row-specific access, and caching helps. So it wants to turn off
Other applications can use this sort of stuff. DBM could, for
instance. So might GIMP. Etc. Dynamic hints have real world

print STDOUT q
Just another Perl hacker,
unless $spring
-Larry Wall