    SubjectRe: VFS mediator?
    Hi!

    > >> * NFS (v2,v3): Portable. And that's the only good thing to say
    > >> about it - it's stateless, it has messy semantics all over the
    > >> place and implementing userland server requires a lot of glue.
    >
    > > Does not work... If you mount nfs server on localhost, you can
    > > deadlock.
    >
    > Huh? Examples please? A hell of a lot of work has gone into ensuring
    > that this cannot happen. I do most of my NFS client work on this sort
    > of setup, so it had bloody well better work...

    Okay, take userland nfs-server. (This thread was about userland
    filesystems).

    Then, make memory full of dirty pages. Imagine that nfs-server is
    swapped-out by some bad luck. What you have is extremely nasty
    deadlock, AFAICS. [To free memory you have to write out dirty data,
    but you can't do that because you don't have enough memory for
    nfs-server].
    Pavel
    --
    Casualities in World Trade Center: ~3k dead inside the building,
    cryptography in U.S.A. and free speech in Czech Republic.