SubjectRe: 7.52 second kernel compile

On Sat, 16 Mar 2002, Paul Mackerras wrote:

> Your suggestion has the problem that when you get to needing to reuse
> one of the VSIDs that you have thrown away, it becomes very difficult
> and expensive to ensure that there aren't any stale hash table entries
> left around for that VSID - particularly on a system with logical
> partitioning where we don't control the size of the hash table.

But the VSID is something like 20 bits, no? So the re-use is a fairly
uncommon thing, in the end.

Remember: think about the hashes as just TLB's, and the VSID's are just
address space identifiers (yeah, yeah, you can have several VSID's per
process at least in 32-bit mode, I don't remember the 64-bit thing). So
what you do is the same thing alpha does with it's 6-bit ASN thing: when
you wrap around, you blast the whole TLB to kingdom come.

The alpha wraps around a lot more often with just 6 bits, but on the other
hand it's a lot cheaper to get rid of the TLB too, so it evens out.

Yeah, there are latency issues, but that can be handled by just switching
the hash table base: you have two hash tables, and whenever you increment
the VSID you clear a small part of the other table, designed so that when
the VSID wraps around the other table is 100% clear, and you just switch
the two.

You _can_ switch the hash table base around on ppc64, can't you?

So now the VM invalidate becomes

++vsid;
partial_clear_secondary_hash();
if (++vsid > MAXVSID)
vsid = 0;
switch_hashes();
}

> > just bypass it altogether (at least the 604e used to be able to just
> > disable the stupid hashing altogether and make the whole thing much
> > saner).
>
> That was the 603, actually.

Ahh, my mind is going.

> In fact the newest G4 processors also let
> you do this. When I get hold of a machine with one of these new G4
> chips I'm going to try it again and see how much faster it goes
> without the hash table.

Maybe somebody is seeing the light.

> One other thing - I would *love* it if we could get rid of
> flush_tlb_all and replace it with a flush_tlb_kernel_range, so that
> _all_ of the flush_tlb_* functions tell us what address(es) we need to
> invalidate, and let the architecture code decide whether a complete
> TLB flush is justified.

Sure, sounds reasonable.

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.241 / U:0.068 seconds]