    SubjectRe: [Lse-tech] Re: 10.31 second kernel compile

    On Sat, 16 Mar 2002 wrote:
    > On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 11:16:16AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > > Show me a semi-sane architecture that _matters_ from a commercial angle.
    > I thought we were into this for the pure technical thrill-)

    I don't know about you, but to me the difference between technological
    thrill and masturbation is that real technology actually matters to real

    I'm not in it for some theoretical good. I want my code to make _sense_.

    > > page tables. And I personally like how Hammer looks more than the ia64 VM
    > > horror.
    > No kidding. But I want TLB load instructions.

    TLB load instructions + hardware walking just do not make much sense if
    you allow the loaded entries to be victimized.

    Of course, you can have a separate "lock this TLB entry that I give you"
    thing, which can be useful for real-time, and can also be useful for
    having per-CPU data areas.

    But then you might as well consider that a BAT register ("block address
    translation", ppc has those too), and separate from the TLB.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.021 / U:2.104 seconds]