SubjectRe: VGA blank causes hang with 2.4.18
Richard Gooch escribió:
> Hi, all. Here's a perverse problem: when the screen blanks (text
> console) with 2.4.18, the machine hangs. No ping response, no magic
> SysReq response. I didn't have this problem with 2.4.7.
> The command I used to configure screen blanking was:
> setterm -blank 10 -powerdown 0
> This is an Athalon 850 MHz on a Gigabyte GA-7ZM motherboard.
> I managed to waste a few hours chasing this, wondering why the machine
> hung a while after boot. Of course, I first blamed the jobs that were
> started on it soon after boot. Turns out the jobs are not to blame!
> Regards,
> Richard....

I have had a similar problem for a long time with different versions of
Linux kernel.
This problem rarely occurs and it always does when I am in a text
console. MagicSysRq does not help :-(.

D. Juan Piernas Cánovas
Departamento de Ingeniería y Tecnología de Computadores
Facultad de Informática. Universidad de Murcia
Campus de Espinardo - 30080 Murcia (SPAIN)
Tel.: +34968367657 Fax: +34968364151
PGP public key:
*** Por favor, envíeme sus documentos en formato texto, HTML, PDF o
PostScript :-) ***