    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4 and BitKeeper
    Date
    In article <20020315080408.D11940@work.bitmover.com>,
    Larry McVoy <lm@bitmover.com> wrote:

    >Has anyone done this and made it work? It would save a lot of disk space
    >and performance if someone were to so.

    Hey, the _sane_ way to do it is to not have all those crappy SCCS
    dependencies in all the tools, but to simply make a bk work area be a
    real file tree!

    Larry, your argument that there are tools that are SCCS-aware is just
    not sane. For each tool that is SCCS-aware, I will name a hundred that
    are not, and that you're not going to fix. The only sane way to make
    _everything_ bitkeeper-aware is to keep the tree checked out and to keep
    the bitkeeper files somewhere else.

    Right now simple things like command-line completion and

    find . -name '*.[chS]' | xargs grep xxxx

    do not work, because they either don't find files or they find the wrong
    ones (the internal bitkeeper files etc).

    I'd much rather have a separate working area, ie if my repository is
    under ~/BK/repository/kernel/linux-2.5, then the checked out tree would
    be under ~/BK/repository/kernel/linux-2.5/workarea, and I would just
    have a simple symbolic link from ~/v2.5 to the workarea (and never even
    _see_ the BitKeeper files unless I thought I needed to).

    None of this "special tools for normal actions" crap.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.024 / U:30.896 seconds]