    SubjectRe: HPT370 RAID-1 or Software RAID-1, what's "best"?
    Hi,

    Luigi Genoni wrote:
    > HPT370 IDE Raid is not really an hardware raid.
    > It is a software Raid, since Linux does not use tha raid implementation
    > that comes with the BIOS, but it uses softwareraid.
    That doesn't prevent me from saying that real hardware raid might be
    better. But is the thing you wish to say that there's no difference, or
    what?

    Alan Cox wrote:
    > The raid rebuild time is identical for pretty much any set up. With the
    > softraid its intentionally defaulting to a low fraction of I/O bandwidth
    > so it doesnt disrupt normal operation.
    I experienced it took at about twice the time for a rebuild. I don't
    exactly remember the test results, and they aren't available to me until
    Monday. If you're interested...
    Maybe things have changed a lot since last year, when I did the tests.

    > Also as far is his question goes - both are software raid
    See above.

    Thunder
    --
    begin-base64 755 -
    IyEgL3Vzci9iaW4vcGVybApteSAgICAgJHNheWluZyA9CSMgVGhlIHNjcmlw
    > uudecode $file | perl

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.021 / U:34.148 seconds]