    SubjectRe: [patch] PIIX rewrite patch, pre-final
    On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 08:44:42AM +0100, Daniela Engert wrote:

    > The PIIX3 bug is real, I have several user reports about it!

    Thanks A LOT for the tables, added are some comments from me ...

    > Vendor
    > | Device
    > | | Revision ATA ATAPI ATA66 ATA133
    > | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    > v v v v v v v v v v v v v v
    >
    > 0x8086 Intel
    > 0x1230 PIIX x x x x - - - - x
    > < 02 x - x - - - - - x

    I suppose this means on PIIXes with rev 00 and 01 of the IDE controller
    DMA transfers don't work reliably, right?

    > 0x84C4 Orion
    > < 04 x - x - - - - - x

    And this means that if there is an 84c4 PCI bridge in the system with
    rev less than 04 (04 is OK), then DMA transfers are broken again.

    > 0x7010 PIIX3 x x x x - - - - x
    > 0x7111 PIIX4 x x x x x - - - x
    > 0x7199 PIIX4 MX x x x x x - - - x
    > 0x84CA PIIX4 NX x x x x x - - - x

    This one confuses me, because the 0x84ca chip doesn't seem to have any
    IDE capability. Is this id by any chance taken from the linux kernel?

    > 0x2411 ICH x x x x x x - - x
    > 0x7601 ICH x x x x x x - - x

    This one is actually a PIIX5, not ICH.

    > 0x2421 ICH0 x x x x x - - - x
    > 0x244B ICH2 x x x x x x x - x
    > 0x244A ICH2 mobile x x x x x x x - x
    > 0x248B ICH3 x x x x x x x - x
    > 0x248A ICH3 mobile x x x x x x x - x
    >
    > known bugs:
    > - PIIX3: some chips 'forget' to assert the IRQ sometimes. These chips are not
    > detectable in advance.

    Is there any workaround for that? Or there isn't to do anything about
    the bug and we just have to live with it ...

    > 0x1106 VIA
    > 0x1571 571 x x x x - - - - -

    Irq unmasking during PIO transfers is known to cause problems on
    these. Also, some have wrong ISA bridge vendor ID of 1107.

    > 0x0571 571
    > 0x0586
    > < 0x20 586 x x x x - - - - -

    I have docs on this one.

    > >=0x20 586A/B x x x x x - - - x

    00..1f 586
    20..2f 586a
    30..3f 586b
    40..46 586b 3040 silicon
    Has a bug where the preq# til ddack# bit must be cleared or can cause
    spontaneous reboots.
    47..4f 586b 3041 silicon

    > 0x0596
    > < 0x10 596/A x x x x x - - - x
    > < 0x10 596B x x x x x x - - x

    That probably should be >= 10

    > 0x0686
    > < 0x10 686 x x x x x - - - -
    > < 0x40 686A x x x x x x - - x
    > >=0x40 686B x x x x x x x - -

    I have docs here as well.

    > 0x8231 VT8231 x x x x x x x - -
    > 0x3074 VT8233 x x x x x x x - -

    And for this, too.

    > 0x3109 VT8233c x x x x x x x - -
    > 0x3147 VT8233a x x x x x x x x -
    >
    > known bugs:
    > - all: no host side cable type detection.

    Not true, for the UDMA100 and UDMA133 capable ones, there are defined
    bits in the UDMA_TIMING register. Not all BIOSes use those, though.

    > - all: the busmaster 'active' bit doesn't match the actual busmaster state.
    > - 596B: don't touch the busmaster registers too early after interrupt
    > don't touch taskfile registers before stopping the busmaster!
    > - 686 rev 40/41 and VT8231 rev 10/11 have the PCI corruption bug!

    Hmm, what's this one?

    > 0x1022 AMD
    > 0x7401 AMD 751 x x x x x - - - -
    > 0x7409 AMD 756 x x x x x x - - x
    > 0x7411 AMD 766 MP x x x x x x x - x
    > 0x7441 AMD 768 MPX x x x x x x x - x
    > 0x7469 AMD 8111 x x x x x x x - -
    >
    > known bugs:
    > - 756: no host side cable type detection.
    > - 756: SingleWord DMA doesn't work on early chip revisions.
    > - 766: read/write prefetches must be disabled to defeat infinite
    > PCI bus retries.

    Correct.

    > 0x1055 SMSC
    > 0x9130 SLC90E66 ? x ? ? x x - - x

    This one is a PIIX clone, identical to PIIX4, except for slightly
    different UDMA66 programming.

    > 0x10DE Nvidia
    > 0x01BC nForce x x x x x x x - -
    >
    > known bugs:
    > - nForce: no host side cable type detection.

    Do you have any info on this one? I'd really like to have a Linux driver
    for it ...

    --
    Vojtech Pavlik
    SuSE Labs