    SubjectRe: IO delay, port 0x80, and BIOS POST codes
    Followup to:  <>
    By author: Linus Torvalds <>
    In newsgroup:
    > Port ED is fine for a BIOS, which (by definition) knows what the
    > motherboard devices are, and thus knows that ED cannot be used by
    > anything.
    > But it _is_ an unused port, and that's exactly the kind of thing that
    > might be used sometime in the future. Remember the port 22/23 brouhaha
    > with Cyrix using it for their stuff, and later Intel getting into the fray
    > too?
    > So the fact that ED works doesn't mean that _stays_ working.

    It is, in fact, broken on several systems -- I tried ED in SYSLINUX
    for a while, and it broke things for people.

    <> at work, <> in private!
    "Unix gives you enough rope to shoot yourself in the foot." <>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.026 / U:2.484 seconds]