SubjectRe: IO delay, port 0x80, and BIOS POST codes
Followup to:  <>
By author: Linus Torvalds <>
In newsgroup:
> Port ED is fine for a BIOS, which (by definition) knows what the
> motherboard devices are, and thus knows that ED cannot be used by
> anything.
> But it _is_ an unused port, and that's exactly the kind of thing that
> might be used sometime in the future. Remember the port 22/23 brouhaha
> with Cyrix using it for their stuff, and later Intel getting into the fray
> too?
> So the fact that ED works doesn't mean that _stays_ working.

It is, in fact, broken on several systems -- I tried ED in SYSLINUX
for a while, and it broke things for people.

<> at work, <> in private!
"Unix gives you enough rope to shoot yourself in the foot." <>