SubjectRe: libc/1427: gprof does not profile threads <synopsis of the problem (one li\ne)>
Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-03-13 at 15:17, Dan Kegel wrote:
> > So let's break the logjam and fix glibc's linuxthreads' pthread_create
> > to [support profiling multithreaded programs]
> I will add nothing like this. The implementation is broken enough and
> any addition just makes it worse. If you patch your own code you'll get
> what you want at your own risk.

OK. What's the right way to fix this, then?

Here are a few alternate ideas off the top of my head:

* Rip out Linuxthreads, replace it with NGPT, and
start fixing from there? (Or does NGPT already fix this?)

* Rewrite Linux's setitimer(ITIMER_PROF,...) to set up an
interval timer for all threads of the thread group.

* Implement the profil() system call from Solaris
( )

What's your favorite idea for getting profiling of
multithreaded programs working on Linux?