    SubjectRe: linux-2.5.4-pre1 - bitkeeper testing
    On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 09:37:20AM -0500, Andrew Pimlott wrote:
    > On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 10:39:28AM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
    > > On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Andrew Pimlott wrote:
    > > > This is misleading--Clearcase stores versions on top a normal
    > > > filesystem (like most other RCS's), and all manipulation is entirely
    > > ^^^^^^^^
    > > > in user-space (over the network to server processes). There only
    > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > > > filesystem magic is that there are directories you cannot list (plus
    > > > permission semantics are a little funny).
    > >
    > > So what's that ClearCase file system driver doing in kernel space?
    > Just providing a convenient view on the repository. The only write
    > operation you can do through the filesystem is write to the checked
    > out version. Checkin, checkout, branch, label, create new
    > file/directory, rename, link, chmod, etc are all user-space.
    > Also, you can use ClearCase without the filesystem (snapshot view)
    > and get all the same functionality.

    Are you sure about that? Snapshots are just the cleartext files. The
    set of operations you can do with a disconnected snapshot is extremely
    limited, last I checked all you could do was edit the files.
    Larry McVoy lm at

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.033 / U:136.952 seconds]